Vegan Keto Hash Browns
I'm a massive fan of spaghetti squash and when I went keto I was so happy to learn that I could still eat it. I invented these delicious hash browns so I could make a large batch and then have pre-proportioned servings ready to go at anytime. Feel free to use my recipe as a starting point and add your own flair to make these fit your tastes.
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, cover in oil, salt, and pepper.
3. Put the squash cut side down on a sheet pan and bake for 40-55 min depending on the size of your squash.
4. When done, flip the squash over and use two forks to scrape out the "meat".
5. Place a stainer into a large bowl and put the "meat" into the strainer and allow to sit until all the moisture drips out into the collection bowl (about 15-20 min).
6. While the squash is staining, chop 1 medium onion and 1 jalapano (mild or spicy) and heat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a saute pan.
7. Once the oil is warm, add the chopped onion and jalapano to the pan and cook until the onions are translucent.
8. Add the onion mixture to the squash meat along with salt and 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast and mix well.
9. Get out a drying towel (preferably a linen dish towel) and form the squash meat into 2 inch patties and place the patties on the towel.
10. Get out another towel and place on top of your squash patties. lightly press on each patty to remove any extra moisture.
11. Heat 1 tablespoon avocado oil in a saute pan. Once warm, add the squash patties and cook 5-7 minutes on each side over medium heat.
-Combine 3 tablespoons of vegenaise with 1-3 teaspoons of sriracha (depending on how spicy you like your sauce).
Give these little patties a try! I often make these ahead and then store them in fridge so I can pull a few out and heat the up in a little more oil for a quick snack.